Individuals who wish to have fuller lips may consider a lip enhancement procedure, which will place silicone implants or other available fillers inside the lips to add volume and shape. Implants will produce a result that is permanent and may be used in the upper, lower or both lips. Similar to other facial implants, lip implants come in a variety of materials, shapes and sizes to match the patient’s preferences. If a patient decides that a less permanent treatment is desired, injectable fillers provide beautiful results. Fillers are performed with an injection that may consist of hyaluronic acid, collagen, a fat transfer or other substance. They are not permanent and usually last between 6-12 months. Newport Beach cosmetic surgeon, Dr. Ed Domanskis, will assess the patient’s lips, discuss her aesthetic goals and recommend a procedure that will create the desired results.
Lip Enhancement Options
- Silicone Implants: Lip enhancement using implants places a solid implant according to preferred size and shape that will increase volume in the lips. The result will look and feel natural, especially after several months when the implant is settled in its position. This is a permanent enhancement that can also be removed if the patient desires. The majority of surgeons use two implant types that are available today: Advanta Lip, which uses a synthetic Gore-Tex material that offers a fuller result with a firmer feel; and PermaLip, which is a solid silicone material that offers a soft, natural result.
- AlloDerm: Another alternative to silicone is a tissue matrix that is fabricated using the dermis that is harvested and processed from cadavers. This is rendered acellular and so any rejection is very rare. As this is porous, natural tissues within the lips will be able to integrate through it further enhancing the natural appearance of the augmentation. It is inserted the same way a silicone implant is placed.
- Fat Filler: Also known as fat transfer, fat deposits are harvested from the patient’s own body by means of liposuction. These collected fats are purified and reinstated with tiny syringes into the lips. The doctor will take the extra measure of reinstating the fat tissues, slowly layering the filler to reshape the lips to meet the patient’s aesthetic desires.
- Injectable Filler: This is a popular way to enhance the lips in a nonsurgical manner. Fillers are made from substances that are found naturally within the body such the hyaluronic acid or collagen based solutions. The result is realistic and looks and feels natural. Fillers produce beautiful results, however, they are considered short-term and reinjection is advised every 6 months.
"Excellent experience with Dr. Domanskis! I had abdominalplasty and liposuction. He explained the procedures very thoroughly as well as what to expect immediately following my surgery. He was in contact with me by phone as well during the first week post op I felt very safe in his hands. My results are absolutely phenomenal I couldn't be more pleased!"- W.P. / Yelp / Aug 29, 2015
"Rachelle and Dr Domanskis were very polite and very informative with every step! Very happy!!!"- T.M. / Google / Sep 12, 2019
"Dr Domanskis is a plastic surgeon I heard incredible things about before I even met him. This is a highly professional office that is very inviting and very comfortable. When you meet the doctor he puts you at ease with your questions that sometimes are a lot , He takes those questions and answers them in detail and many times with him sketching on what he's going to do . I have two surgeries coming up actually three LOL, facelift necklift and breast reconstruction . I could not be more comfortable with my choice of this award-winning doctor!!!!"- M.T. / Yelp / Aug 09, 2019
"The first time I walked into this warm inviting office I realized this was like no other plastic surgery office . The staff is very professional and very patient in explaining details about your chosen surgery . This office is a no pressure zone and makes you feel very at ease with your choice. Dr. Domanskis is extremely honest with what he can do and what he can’t do and what are the real expectations . This award-winning doctor will not tell you what you want to hear which in the end is the most honest a plastic surgeon could be . He will take his time and explain how things are going to be done and how the turnout will be. I am extremely excited for my upcoming surgery which I’ve wanted to do for a couple of years now and will be following up with the new review in the fall. He books up fast come in and meet him you will not be disappointed !"- M.T. / Google / Aug 09, 2019
"We are so happy we found Dr. Domanskis. We are always welcomed with such genuine kindness from Rachelle. Dr. Domanskis gives you his honest and professional opinion while still keeping your own vision in mind. I am so happy with my XL Expander implants. My breasts look valumptuous and perky and the placement is just fantastic. Very small incisions and I healed up well. I can't wait to get lip implants next! Thank you so much Dr. Domanskis and Rachelle!"- V.S. / Google / May 08, 2019
The surgical technique employed with lip augmentation depends on the type of material used. For implants, incisions will be made on the outer corner of the mouth and the implant is inserted through a tunnel that the plastic surgeon creates. The scars are concealed as the incisions are made along the natural lip line, and the sutures are so fine that once dissolved, they are unnoticeable. For injectable fillers, incisions are not necessary. The substance will be injected using a small, fine needle directly into the lips. During this process, the doctor manipulates the shaping of the filler by putting pressure on the lips where it is needed.
Another potential option is VeraFIL. This technique involves the use of a small silicone shell, coated with Teflon, being inserted through small incisions on the corners of the mouth. Once it is in place, the shell is filled with saline to the desired fullness. While this method does indeed increase fullness, it may pose the same potential risks are saline breast implants. Speak with Dr. Domanskis about the benefits of this technique.
Lip enhancement using an implant product will generally be performed under general anesthesia in an accredited surgical facility. It is considered outpatient and the entire process is usually concluded within an hour. Injectable fillers require no anesthesia, however, a local numbing medication is usually used. After the procedure, the lips will be swollen and there may be bruising present. This will go away after a few days and the patient will instantly see results of the treatment. It may take a few more weeks for the best results to show.
Lip augmentation surgery fees can run up to $5,000. Injections average between $300 to $500 (per syringe of filler). Although injectable fillers are less expensive than a single lip enhancement surgery, reinjection is needed to maintain the desired results. Patients may decide that a more permanent solution is worthwhile and can consider implants to save in the long run.
Plan Your Procedure
- Average Cost
- $3,000 - $5,000
- Recovery Time
- 5-14 Days
- Average Procedure Time
- 1 Hour
- Post-op Follow-up
- 2 Months
- Procedure Recovery Location
Lip Augmentation FAQs
Solid or Liquid Fillers?
It depends. Both solid implants and injectable fillers have their advantages and disadvantages. Patients need to consider the longevity and maintenance of both options. Solid implants are permanent while injectable fillers need reinjection every 6 months. Patients may opt to see the effects a filler will have on the lips first and realize lip augmentation is not for them. The pros and cons of both can be discussed during the initial consultation.
How Real Will It Look?
Technology today is able to design implants that produce great results when it comes to providing a natural look and feel. Optimal results are achieved when implants settle and integrate with the natural tissues of the lips. It is important to find a surgeon who has the necessary skills and experience when it comes to lip enhancement treatment.
Can I Have It Removed?
Yes. Silicone implants are easier to remove than porous implants but both are removable with a secondary surgery. Liquid fillers go away naturally over time as the substance is absorbed by the body, although a minimal fraction may be retained and may take a while before fully absorbed.
Will There Be Scars?
With implants, incisions are placed along the natural lip line and the scar will be barely noticeable. Fillers inserted by injection will not have any scars at all. It is important to take extra care of the surgery wounds according to doctor’s prescriptions to avoid any infections.